Good oral care is important for your child’s overall health. Many parents are not aware of the right kind of dental care their child needs and face a tough time understanding how to prevent cavities in their child’s teeth. Good dental care starts even before your baby gets the first tooth.Hence, it is important to set good dental habits and visit a paediatric dentist right from an early age for your childto prevent oral disease, cavities, and infection.
When to visit a dentist for your child?
It is recommended to start visitinga paediatric dentist by the time your child is one year oldto understand the proper ways of brushing and flossingand to prevent any early signs of oral health problems. Paediatric dentists are qualified to treat a variety of problems relating to children’s oral health.
They also know when to recommend you to a different kind of expert, like an orthodontist to fix an overbite or an oral surgeon for jaw problems.
Toothfairy Dental Clinic inBangkhuntien, Bangkok is a specialised clinic for kids dental care (ทำฟันเด็ก, term in Thai) and families. Their team of paediatric dentists has long experience in handling baby tooth care as well as how to deal with children. They have a full range of dental services for kids like dental consultation and examination, flossing and fluoride enamel, baby teeth extraction, fillings, milk crowns, and treating milk teeth root problems and braces in children.
Dental care for kids
- Wipe your baby’s gums with a clean, soft towel after the first feed in the morning and before you tuck them to bed at night.
- Start brushing when teeth eruptsusing a small and soft-bristled toothbrush and water and a very small amount of fluoride toothpaste.
- Start flossing between your baby’s teeth when two of them touch.
- Your child should start learning to spit while brushing around the age of 2 years.
- Do not give water to your child to swish and then spit as it can make them swallow the toothpaste.
- Children under the age of 8 years need to be supervised when they brush their teeth as they tend to swallow toothpaste.
- Visit a paediatric dentist as soon as you spot early signs of problems.
How to keep dental problems away from your child?
It is important to form good oral habits right from childhood. Teach your kids to regularly floss and use fluoride toothpaste at least twice a day.
Fluoride is important
Fluoride is important for your child’s teeth as it reduces cavities, helps to make teeth strong, and prevents acid penetration. Your dentist will recommend fluoride toothpaste if your water supply does not have fluoride.
- Avoid giving your child sugary foods, juices, and candies that can damage the enamel and cause cavities.
- Always rinse their mouth or brush after they eat any sugary food.
- Putting your baby to sleep with a milk bottle can also harm their teeth causing tooth discolouration and cavities.
Visiting a paediatric dentist from an early age helps your child to be more comfortable with the doctor. Plan regular dental check-ups as your child grow and follow your dentist’s advice to ensure good oral health for your child.